MG Winter tips for electric motorists
Lithium-ion batteries used in EVs are highly sophisticated and offer numerous benefits. But at low temperatures, they cannot provide as much energy as they can at high temperatures. Therefore, in winter conditions, an EV cannot drive as far as you’re used to on a single charge. In these tips below, we explain how to maintain enough battery energy, and how to drive safely and without range anxiety in winter conditions.
- Always try to charge the battery to 100% while charging with AC (normal/slow charging). When charging with DC (fast-charging), it’s recommended to charge the battery to 80%.
- If possible, charge the battery every night to ensure it has enough energy when you hit the road in the cold morning.
- A low battery level and low temperatures have a negative effect on the remaining driving range. Park the car in a garage as often as possible. This could have a positive effect on the battery temperature.
- Once the car is heated up, turn down the heater in the car to a more comfortable setting in the middle of the scale, or turn off the air conditioner to maximize your driving range.
- Don’t drive too aggressively and keep your speed as constant as possible to minimize the average energy consumption and maximize your driving range.
- Activate the adaptive cruise control when possible. This helps to keep your speed as constant as possible in order to minimize the average energy consumption and maximize your driving range.
- Activate the strongest setting of the regenerative braking system to regenerate as much energy as possible in order to maximize your driving range. However, on a icy or slippery surface, it’s recommended to set a low regeneration level.
- Use as many opportunities as possible to heat the battery, such as fast-charging (DC). The temperature of the battery will increase by normal driving and AC charging. At low battery level combined with low external temperatures and a cold battery, you may experience less power than normal. This adjusts when the battery reaches a normal working temperature.
- Every 100% electric MG has an Eco mode available, if extra range is urgently needed. Be aware that by applying this feature, it will override the climate control of the car (it will turn off/turn down the heater in the interior significantly).